|Shimmer and Shine|
|Genre:||Children's television series|
|Created by:||Farnaz Esnaashari-Charmatz|
|Directed by:|| Supervising:|
Fred Osmond (Season 1)
Matt Engstrom (Season 2)
|Voices of:|| Alina Foley|
Dee Bradley Baker
|Opening theme:||"Shimmer and Shine” performed by Melanie Fontana|
|Ending theme:||"Shimmer and Shine Instrumental"|
|Country of origin|| United States|
|No. of seasons:||2|
|No. of episodes:||35 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s):|| Farnaz Esnaashari-Charmatz|
|Producer(s):|| Ian Murray|
|Running time:||21 minutes|
|Production company(s):|| Nickelodeon Animation Studio|
Guru Studio (Season 1)
Xentrix Studios (Season 1)
|Distributor:||Viacom Media Networks|
|Original channel:|| Nickelodeon|
|Original run:||August 24, 2015 – present|
Shimmer and Shine is an American-Canadian animated children's television series created by Farnaz Esnaashari-Charmatz. It airs on Nickelodeon in the United States and on Treehouse in Canada. The series premiered on August 24, 2015. The show was based on an unreleased pilot from September 2013.
The first season takes place in the human world and focuses on a young girl named Leah, who is friends with a pair of twin genies in training named Shimmer and Shine. Leah's genies grant her 3 wishes every day, but they often mess up. Each episode features Leah working together with her genies to solve the problems they inadvertently cause, all while keeping Shimmer and Shine a secret from her next-door neighbor Zac.
In the second season, the characters are transported to Zahramay Falls, a magical land where Shimmer and Shine live. Leah reveals her genies' existence to Zac, who is given a genie of his own named Kaz. Shimmer and Shine continue to grant Leah wishes in Zahramay Falls and befriend the sovereign of the land, Princess Samira. The season also includes Samira's pet peacock, Roya; Zeta, a villainous sorceress; and Zeta's dragon, Nazboo.
- Shimmer (voiced by Eva Bella U.S. version and Mia Wiltshire in the UK version) – An optimistic genie with blue eyes and pink hair. She is enthusiastic and encouraging. She loves cleaning, glitter, and collecting genie bottles.
- Shine (voiced by Isabella Cramp U.S. version and Ellie Simons in Season 1 and Mia Hope in Season 2 in the UK version) – A courageous genie with purple eyes and blue hair. She is an animal lover and is often hungry. Due to her love of animals she is very knowledgeable about various animals and magical creatures native to Zahramay Falls such as Zoomicorns and dragons. Unlike her sister, she dislikes cleaning. She has a habit saying "It's like I always say..." only to humorously reveal she have just made up the saying when Shimmer points out she had never heard it before. In Season 2, she is shown to be a skilled Zoomicorn Toss player.
- Leah (voiced by Alina Foley U.S. version and Claudia Burns in the UK version) – A blonde girl with green eyes. She is best friends with Shimmer and Shine. Although Shimmer and Shine usually mess up her wishes, Leah is patient and forgiving with them. Originally, she was forced to keep her genies existence a secret from her close friend Zac, though in the second season after she and Zac end up being transported to Zahramay Falls along with Shimmer and Shine by one of Zeta's spells, their existence is revealed to Zac. After she and Zac stop Zeta from stealing the Green Forest Gem, Leah and Zac are granted a wish by Princess Samira along with Shimmer and Shine. Leah and Zac wish to be able to visit Zahramay Falls whenever they want. While visiting her genies in Zahramay Falls, Leah magically dons a genie disguise in order to blend in, as humans are normally not allowed in Zahramay Falls.
- Zac (voiced by Blake Bertrand U.S. version and Innis Robertson-Pinnell in the UK version) – Leah's neighbor and close friend. In the first season, he is oblivious to the fact that Leah has genies. Whenever something strange or unusual happens, he responds to it in a carefree manner. He also has a habit of telling humorous experiences he has had to Leah. In "A Very Genie Halloweenie", Leah introduces Shimmer and Shine to Zac as friends of hers dressed as genies for Halloween. Zac has a carefree attitude and adventurous personality. He is shown to have some ability at fixing and repairing things and in "Spaceship Wrecked" even managed to fix an alien spaceship. In the second season, he learns that Leah has genies after he and Leah are accidentally transported to Zahramay Falls by one of Zeta's spells, though takes the news in stride and is enthusiastic about it. After aiding Leah and her genies in thwarting an attempt to take Shimmer and Shine's Genie Gem, Princess Samira grants his and Leah's wish to be able to visit Zahramay Falls whenever they want. Princess Samira later assigns Kaz to be his genie. Like Leah, he wears a genie disguise while visiting Zahramay Falls.
- Tala (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker U.S. and UK version) – Shimmer's pet gibbon monkey. She has green eyes and wears white pearls, like Shimmer does. Tala is shown to be a talented dancer in both "Happy Wishaversary" (when she plays a dancing video game with Zac) and in "Untamed Talent" (where she dances at the Zahramay Falls Pet Talent Show).
- Nahal (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker U.S. and UK version) – Shine's white Bengal tiger cub. She wears pink jewels and a gold circlet, like Shine does. In "Untamed Talent" it is revealed that Nahal has a talent for playing the keyboard. Humorously she is shown to be better at playing the keyboard when she was distracted by a magical feather that Zeta tried to use in an attempt to distract her and ruin her performance.
- Kaz (voiced by Jet Jurgensmeyer U.S. version and Harrison Noble in the UK version) – A genie in training who lives in Zahramay Falls who appears in Season 2 as Zac's genie. In contrast to Zac's easy-going and adventurous personality, Kaz is more cautious and scares easily. Despite their contrasting personalities, Zac and Kaz work well together. Like most genies in Zahramay Falls, he has his own magic carpet. He first appears in "A Tree-mendous Rescue", where he is initially scared when he learns Zac and Leah are normal humans upon first meeting them, as he had never met non-magical people before. Along with Shimmer and Shine, he is assigned the task of finding a Genie Gem located in a forest by Princess Samira. Along with Zac and Leah, they manage to find the gem, which turns out to be a Matching Gem, a Genie Gem that matches genies with their perfect person. The gem produces a Genie Lamp for Zac and Princess Samira reveals that the gem has assigned Kaz to be Zac's genie. As a result, he occasionally joins the main cast on their adventures. In "Zany Ziffilon", he reveals his desire to have a Ziffilon as his magical pet and Zac wishes for a Ziffilon for Kaz. As a result, Kaz gains a pet Ziffilon which he names Zain.
- Parisa – A Zahramay Fox that Leah befriends in "Now You See Her". After helping Leah and her genies foil Zeta's plan to use a camouflage potion to steal their Genie Gems and having bonded with Leah, Parisa becomes Leah's magical pet. As Parisa is a magical creature, Leah uses one of her wishes to create a place for Parisa to live near the fountain in the courtyard of Shimmer and Shine's palace which appears small on the outside, yet big on the inside. As Parisa is a Zahramay Fox, she possesses the ability to camouflage herself, making her practically invisible. This ability makes her incredibly stealthy to the point she was able to covertly follow Zeta and Nazboo to Shimmer and Shine's palace while they were under the effects of Zeta's camouflage potion. In "Untamed Talent", Parisa reveals she has a talent for painting.
- Rocket (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker U.S. and UK version) – Zac's pet dog. His tendency to drool and chew on things often causes trouble. He has encountered Shimmer, Shine, Tala and Nahal at various times.
- Mr. Crab – A hermit crab who claimed Zac's Dream Shell in "Ahoy, Genies!" and was referred to as Claude by Zac. He refused to give up his shell to Zac and even manages to beat Zac in a staring contest for ownership of it. In another episode, he was caught by Shimmer and Shine while fishing and is referred to as Mr. Crab. In "Santa's Little Genies", he befriends Santa Claus when he is accidentally transported to an island by one of Leah's wishes and Santa even offered Mr. Crab the option of coming to work for him at the North Pole.
- Princess Samira (voiced by Nikki SooHoo U.S. version and Cariad Lloyd in the UK version) – The ruler of Zahramay Falls, who is in charge of checking up on all the genies in training. She can grant wishes along with the younger genies. She occasionally rewards genies with magic Genie Gems that produce a variety of magical effects depending on the type of gem. She may also task genies with obtaining a particular gem. Though humans are normally not allowed in Zahramay Falls, she makes an exception for Zac and Leah after they are accidentally transported there by one of Zeta's spells and permits Leah to keep her genies despite Zac having learned of their existence as a result. However though she allows Leah and Zac to visit Zahramay Falls as a result of granting their special wish with Shimmer and Shine, she requires them to disguise themselves as genies in order to blend in with the other residents of Zahramay Falls. As a result, Leah and Zac magically don genie disguises while visiting Zahramay Falls. In "Bling Bling", she gives Leah and her genies the task of taking her special necklace to be polished, which is later stolen by Zeta. Leah and her genies manage to get the necklace back and Samira reveals that it is not a magical necklace as Leah, her genies, and Zeta had assumed, but was a special gift that Samira received from her teacher back when she was a genie-in-training. In "Staffinated", it is revealed that Samira's magic staff uses wishing magic and thus its magic cannot be undone using a wish.
- Roya (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker U.S. and UK version) – Princess Samira's pet peacock, who resides in her palace.
- Zeta the Sorceress (voiced by Lacey Chabert U.S. and UK version) – A resident of Zahramay Falls who wishes to be the most powerful person in Zahramay Falls (more powerful than any genie) and is the series first antagonist. Unlike most of the residence of Zahramay Falls, Zeta is a Sorceress instead of a genie, as she has no desire to grant the wishes of others. Her plans are almost always thwarted by Shimmer, Shine, and Leah. However, sometimes Zeta's own arrogance and/or ignorance causes her to foil her own schemes, such as stealing a gem or magic object for its power only to have it backfire, causing her to lose it. Leah and her genies have also learned that they can use Zeta's power hungry nature against her, such as in "Double Trouble" when Leah tricked Zeta into creating an army of Zeta duplicates who immediately began arguing with one another due to them having the same self-centered personality as Zeta. Zeta can also be petty and is a poor sport as she is more than willing to cheat in order win. Instead of a Magic Carpet, Zeta rides on a flying motorcycle that runs on flying carpet dust, though it is prone to breaking down and/or running out of fuel. Despite being enemies with Leah and her genies, Zeta is shown to be willing to put aside her dislike for them when Nazboo becomes sick and allows them to obtain Dragon Peppers for her while she takes care of the sick Nazboo. It is also shown that Zeta does truly care about Nazboo, despite treat him like an underling most of the time. In "Zeta in Training", it is revealed that Zeta was originally a genie in training and the only one to fail the training due to Zeta's selfishness and her decision to become an all powerful sorceress instead. However in "Zeta in Training", Princess Samira gives Zeta a Second Chance in honor of Second Chance Day, which Zeta agrees to in the hopes that it will make her more powerful. However Samira prevents Zeta from granting her own wishes and assigns her to be Shimmer and Shine's genie. Zeta decides she will fine a way to trick Shimmer and Shine into making a wish for her, though her plan ends up backfiring due to the way Zeta phrased the wish and the gem she summons is removed by one of Leah's wishes. Afterwards, Zeta tells Samira she quits again as selflessly granting wishes is too hard for her.
- Nazboo (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker U.S. and UK version) – Zeta's pet dragon, who caters to her every need and acts as Zeta's underling. He is somewhat clumsy and often accidentally causes Zeta's schemes to backfire. He can also get easily distracted by food and/or anything that piques his interest. He also enjoys getting occasional tummy rub from Zeta. Despite being Zeta's underling, he is shown to get along well with Tala in "Lost and Found". Though he generally follows along with Zeta in her schemes, he can be more civil towards Leah, her genies, and their friends as shown in "Zoomicorn Toss" when he points out that using magic during the competition wouldn't be fair to the competition and cheered for Shine after she saved the runaway Zoomicorn and Zeta. Zeta's flying motorcycle has a side car and helmet for Nazboo. In "Dragon Pox", Nazboo becomes sick with the Dragon Pox and it is revealed by that only a Dragon Pepper can cure him. It is also revealed that using wishing magic on Dragons like Nazboo is dangerous, as it usually ends up going wrong. Leah and her genies offer to retrieve the Dragon Peppers and manage to obtain enough of them to not only cure Nazboo, but also got enough extra pepper for Zeta if Nazboo gets sick again. Leah also uses one of her wishes to give Nazboo a pile of squeaky toys, showing that it is possible to grant a wish for a Dragon. In "Untamed Talent", Nazboo again demonstrates his sense of fair play when he remains Zeta that using magic in the pet talent competition would be against the rules, but Zeta does so anyways, though her efforts end up backfiring, making their competition look good. Zeta decides to switch tactics and tries to improve Nazboo's act with magic, but it backfires causing the stage to collapse. However Nazboo bravely and skillful manages to get Parisa, Nahal, Tala out of danger and saves Princess Samira and Roya from falling pillar. For his bravery, Princess Samira announces Nazboo as the winner of the contest, however he foils Zeta's plan to wish for a genie gem that would make her all powerful, when Nazboo wishes for a Gem Squeaky Toy instead.
- Layla – An Ice Genie who appears in "Freeze-amay Falls". She possesses an ice gem necklace that gives her freezing powers and keeps her body cold. She originally lived in a genie bottle buried on a sandy beach in Zahramay Falls, but it was accidentally broken by Leah and her genies. Her necklace is briefly stolen by Zeta, though she is later forced to give it back to Layla when its power freezes Zeta. Leah and her genies later help Layla find a new home and end up selecting the Ice Palace from "Snow Place We'd Rather Be" as Layla's new home. Despite getting her necklace back, she decides to keep the large Shiver Cone (ice cream Cone) Leah and her genies gave her to wear on her head to keep her cool, as she found it to be the perfect hat for an Ice Genie like herself. In "Bling Bling", it is mentioned she has become friends with Princess Samira. In "Frosty Fun", she briefly appears as the beginning of the episode building a giant snowman with Leah and her genies.
- Chicken – A giant chicken with green feathers that Zeta accidentally created when she used Samira's magic staff on a tree in "Staffinated", which she uses to terrorize the citizens of Zahramay Falls. However the chicken is turned into a normal sized chicken by one of Leah's wishes and humorously tries to befriend Samira's pet, Roya. It appears as a background character in "Lightning in a Bottle".
- Shaya – A Lightning Genie in training who appears in "Lightning in a Bottle". He rides around on a flying cloud-board and can generate magical lightning. Leah and her genies help him catch a run away magic lightning bolt he created while practicing his magic. Though he is reluctant to work with Leah and her genies at first, he eventually learns the value of teamwork from them. In "Zoomicorn Toss", he participates in the Zoomicorn Toss Tournament along with Leah, Shimmer, Shine, Kaz, Zac, and Zeta, but fails to make it past the first round.
- Nopal – A friendly alien with magical powers who appears in "Spaceship Wrecked". Leah and her genies meet him, his spaceship is accidentally summoned by one of Leah's wishes. Like Shimmer and Shine, Nopal possess magic powers and can levitate in the air. Nopal also possesses special alien magic such as teleportation. After another wish mistake breaks Nopal spaceship, Leah and her genies work to fix his spaceship, however they are unable to fix it themselves. When Zac shows up, Leah introduce him to Nopal without revealing her genies existence or involvement to Zac. After learning that Nopal's spaceship is broken, Zac takes a look and manages to fix it. Nopal uses his powers on Zac's walkie-talkie allowing him and Nopal to communicate. Nopal also teaches Shimmer how to use alien teleportation magic.
- Nila – A mermaid who lives in the waters near Zahramay Falls that Leah and her genies befriend in "Mermaid Mayhem". When Leah uses up all her wishes, preventing Leah and her Genies from returning to their non-mermaid selves, she assists Leah and her genies in acquiring the Mermaid Gem, which allows its user to transform into a mermaid and back.
- Guardian of the Mermaid Gem – The guardian of the Mermaid Gem is a mermaid with octopus-like tentacles instead of a fish tail, who acts as a minor antagonist in "Mermaid Mayhem", as she guards the Mermaid Gem that Leah and her genies require to return to their non-mermaid selves. Originally described as a sea monster by Nila, it is revealed that her sea monster persona is actually just a facade and the guardian is actually just lonely mermaid who keeps the Mermaid Gem in her cave so people will visit her. Nila, Leah, and the genies offer to be her friends and Shimmer decorates her cave with sea-stars to lighten up her cave. Happy to have made friends, she gives the Mermaid Gem to Leah and her genies so they can visit her and Nila.
- Zain – Kaz's pet Ziffilon (a griffin-like creature) which first appeared in "Zany Ziffilon". When Kaz reveals he had always wanted a pet Ziffilon, Zac uses one of his wishes to wish up a Ziffilon for Kaz. However the Ziffilon becomes scared of its new surroundings and flees, forcing Kaz, Zac, Leah, and her genies to chase the frightened Ziffilon through Zahramay Falls. Eventually Kaz manages to befriend the Ziffilon after feeding it Zlam Berries. After it agrees to become Kaz's pet, Kaz names it Zain. Zain is by far the largest of the pets, as it is big enough for Kaz to ride on its back.
Magic animals and creaturesEdit
- Dragons – Dragons are magical creatures that are native to Shimmer and Shines world. In "Lights! Camera! Genies!", Leah accidentally summons one with a wish and works with Shimmer and Shine to deal with the trouble it causes. They manage to calm it down by feeding it popcorn. At the end of the episode it appears at Shimmer and Shine's place where it interrupts Shine's puppet play. In Season 2, Zeta's pet dragon Nazboo is introduced though he is smaller than the one wished up by Leah and is apparently a different breed of Dragon. Unlike the Dragon from Season 1, Nazboo is capable of rudimentary speech and is wingless. In "Dragon Pox", it is revealed that using wishing magic on dragons like Nazboo is dangerous, as it always ends up backfiring (unlike the dragon from season 1 which could be affected by wishing magic without any problem). However Leah discovers that it is possible to make a wish for a Dragon when she wishes up a load of squeaky toys for Nazboo. It is also shown that Dragons can suffer from a disease called Dragon Pox which can only be cured by Dragon Peppers.
- Mermaids – Most of the Mermaids living in the waters near Zahramay Falls have glittery fish-like mermaid tails. However rarely some like the Guardian of the Mermaid Gem has octopus-like tentacles instead. Non-Mermaids such as genies and humans can become mermaids via the use of genie magic or via the power of the Mermaid Gem. However, if wishing magic is used, another wish must be used to turn them back into non-mermaids. The Mermaid Gem has the power to turn one into a mermaid and can undo the transformation as well.
- Zoomicorns – Zoomicorns are winged unicorns that live near Zahramay Falls and as their name implies they can fly very fast. They first appeared in "Snow Place We'd Rather Be" where a herd of them saved Leah and her genies after their flying carpet froze while on their way to the Ice Palace. In "Zoomicorn Toss", it is shown that there is a popular sport called Zoomicorn Toss where the players riding cloudboards toss rings around a Zoomicorn's horn as it flies around without using magic.
- Ziffilons – Ziffilons are griffon-like creatures that live on an island far from Zahramay Falls. In "Zany Ziffilon", Kaz reveals he has always wanted one as a pet, causing Zac to wish up a Ziffilon for Kaz, who manages to befriend it and names it Zain. Their favorite food is Zlam Berries and are big enough for a person to ride on.
- Zahramay Foxes – Zahramay foxes are rare magical foxes native to Zahramay Falls. They possess the ability to camouflage themselves, making them practically invisible. In "Now You See Her", Leah befriends a Zahramay Fox named Parisa and it is revealed that dip of a paw from a Zahramay Fox is one of the ingredients for a camouflage potion, which Zeta tries to use in an scheme to steal Shimmer and Shine's genie gems, but it is foiled by Parisa who follows them to Shimmer and Shine's palace. Having bonded with Leah, Parisa ends up becoming Leah's magical pet and takes up residence in Parisa's Place (a mini-palace that small on the outside but big on the inside), a home for Parisa located near the fountain in the courtyard of Shimmer and Shine's palace wished up by Leah.
- Main article: List of Shimmer and Shine episodes
Nickelodeon and Random House Children's Books released books based on the show starting in January 2016.
Nickelodeon and Paramount also released Nickelodeon Favorites: Whiskers & Paws, which features episodes from not only Shimmer and Shine, but from PAW Patrol, Dora and Friends: Into the City!, Fresh Beat Band of Spies, Bubble Guppies, and Blue's Clues. It was released on January 26, 2016.
Nickelodeon and Fisher-Price released a toy line based on the show.
Shimmer and Shine premiered on Nick Jr. UK on November 9, 2015 where it was dubbed with British voice actors, replacing the original American soundtrack (though Zeta and the animals' voices remained unchanged).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Nick Jr.’s ‘Shimmer and Shine’ Premieres Aug. 24" . Animation Magazine. Retrieved on December 17, 2016.
- ↑ "Nick brings new preschool series Shimmer and Shine to light" . kidscreen.com. Retrieved on December 17, 2016.
- ↑ Liu, Ed (February 11, 2016). "Nickelodeon Greenlights Second Season of "Shimmer and Shine," New Product Line Launches" . ToonZone. Retrieved on December 17, 2016.
- ↑ http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/shimmer-shine-season-three-renewal-nickelodeon-series/
- ↑ "The Sweetest Thing". Shimmer and Shine. 3 minutes in. Retrieved on December 17, 2016. “Boom Zahramay! Your best friends are on the way.”
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014R6Q05G/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B014R6Q02E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1K37DMVSK03K5G88828K
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/Nickelodeon-Favorites-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B014R6Q02E
- ↑ Template:Cite press release
|Nick Jr. original programming|